Sunday, June 24, 2018

Hello


via GIPHY

This is the part of the blog post where I apologize for not actually blogging! Let's just pretend I did that and move on... 😀

(on a side note, we definitely need to start using more gifs!)


Teams
Things here are in full swing. I can hardly believe we're quickly approaching the end of June. July will be here before you know it and we'll be headed into the peak time of the season. We've just had our second missions team with us, and they were brilliant. They were here for 2 weeks, and during that time they got a real taste for the work we do here. The teams do everything from participating in our night time street work, to giving out free popsicles on the beach!



The heart of what we do happens out on the streets of the west end at night. When you go out at night wearing our 24-7 Ibiza t-shirt it doesn't matter if you've been here 2 days or 2 years. People will approach you for prayer or for help. It's always amazing to watch these teams quickly get over their shock, and dive right in!

Church
We have a church service we offer the working community on Sunday evenings in our center at 7pm. It's a super simple service, meant to connect with people who don't normally go to church.The goal is to keep around 30 minutes long. We're doing a series on the attributes of Jesus that's been going great. I got to speak a few weeks ago, and some of the talks have been real conversation starters.

Streets
I spend three nights a week out on the streets of the west end. It's a crazy place full of bars and clubs, and I love it.


Since our first night in May, we've seen some amazing things happening. There have been so many opportunities to help vulnerable people. My favorite thing out on the streets is to get to pray with people and to offer them the hope that Christ brings. We're never pushy about sharing faith. Everyone knows that we're "The Christians", so they often will come to us with their questions about faith. Or they just want prayer. One of my favorite encounters happened one night when I was walking by a club in the west end. I was going to give a wave to the guy who works on the door when he approached me, and grabbed both my hands. "I really need you to pray right now, because I'm having a shit night." he said to me. I grasped his hands, and we prayed. So many people have been responding to prayer because they say it makes them feel better. We know that's the Holy Spirit at work! Every night I see the proof that God is alive and working on the streets of the west end. A place so many people have given up on. God is moving. He hasn't given up on this place, or the people in it!

No comments: