Friday, July 11, 2014

Last Night on Call...

It's less than a week to go before I leave Ibiza, which means I'm starting my official farewell tour. Tonight was my last night on call and it went out with a bang!

During the week we go out into the streets of the west end Monday through Thursday from 11:30 pm until   5 am. Then on Friday and Saturday night we're strictly on call. Since Bernard and I were on call together we decided to go in to the center and watch a movie.

Note:  While we were there I also beat him a few times at Mario Kart. He may have won once, but I'm not at liberty to divulge such information at this time...

I feel like the overall theme of the night was PATIENCE! Alcohol tends to fuzz up the brain making it hard for people to remember their own names let alone what hotel they're staying at. I've sat with people for hours waiting for them to sober up enough to remember. Our first call  of the night was pretty straight forward. There were 3 friends outside of Ibiza Rocks who needed help back to their hotel. Luckily one of them was sober and knew where they were staying. But later on in the night we responded to a call from the medical center where we met Matt. I think if Matt had one goal for the evening it was that he wanted to go to sleep! He didn't care where he was at, or who was trying to stop him. He couldn't remember the name of his hotel, all he knew was that he wanted to go to bed. We spent hours with him trying to sober him up enough to get a hotel name out of him. Eventually he did remember and we were able to put him in a taxi and send him on his way. Matt's story reminds me of these verses in Luke 6:32-33

"If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same."

Basically Jesus is saying if we only love when things are easy or going good what's the point?! Anyone can do that. The tough bit is giving love when things are hard. God has taught me so much this season about loving and serving at ALL times. And tonight was definitely a chance to get to practice that.

Tomorrow I've got the day off, and it looks like we may be going to the hippie market which excites me because I've never been!

Until then...

No comments: