Friday, May 11, 2012

Messy

It’s 4:47 in the morning, and I just got back to my apartment, took a shower, and then sat down to type out a few thoughts…

Tonight was a good night…

There was lots of praying, and chatting with people in the west end. Plenty of opportunities to share God’s love with people…and…there was also VOMIT!

We were heading home for the night when we came across two guys who needed some help. They’d both been drinking (a lot), and were in no shape to get back to their hotel on their own. So we offered them a ride.

Here’s a little Ibiza 101 for you: If you’re too drunk, the taxi cabs won’t take you anywhere. They’re afraid you’ll vomit in their cab, and they don’t like that!

So we get these two guys in the van, and as we’re driving them back to their hotel, one of them starts to vomit on the floor.

We had another situation with a young lady who was on her own, very drunk and obviously in a lot of emotional pain. She would go from weeping, and talking about how lonely she was to telling us to leave her alone. She didn’t want our help, so we watched her from a distance, as she tried to stumble her way home…

Both situations reminded me that people can be messy. Not just in the physical sense, but also in the spiritual sense as well…But the most awesome thing is that even in the middle of the mess, God is still there!

It’s when we take our mess and surrender it to him that he begins to do miraculous things in us.

Matthew 11:28-30 (MSG)

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

No comments: