Friday, May 3, 2019

Thoughts (Not Snakes) On a Plane...

Re-posted from my Poppy in Ibiza Newsletter:

A few months ago I spent a week in England doing some fun things with 24-7 Prayer. I was settling in to my flight back home when I noticed something interesting. While the flight attendants were preparing to present the usual emergency demonstration, all around me people were tuning out.

I kind of always feel bad for flight attendants at this point because hardly anyone is paying attention. As I watched this happen, I realized how crazy it is. While they give life saving information, people are putting on headphones, talking, or even falling asleep. It's become so familiar that people have stopped paying attention.


As I was sitting there, I realized that we sometimes do this with God's word. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says this:
 
"Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another—showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God’s way. Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us."

We get that scripture is important for out spiritual growth, but let's be honest. Just like the flight attendants safety demonstration, sometimes scripture starts to feel like this familiar thing that we've heard over and over again. We hear the first few words of John 3:16 and we start to zone out. 

Been there, done that. 

As I sat on the plane pondering, I felt the challenge to be aware of God's word, and what he's trying to speak to me through it. I believe we serve a God who is all about the details. If I'm hearing a verse over and over again, it may be because God knows one day I'm going to need it. Just like I may need to actually put those flight attendant safety instructions into action one day!

So my challenge to you today is to listen well. Ask God what he wants you to hear, and open your ears to hear what he wants to speak to you! 

No comments: