Thursday, July 7, 2022

First Night Back

 I'm happy to report that I'm back in Ibiza!


I've been on the island for a few days now and last night was my first night back out on the streets. In years past my first night back has often been full of this anxious realization:

"Oh crap! I'm actually here. Now it's time to do all the stuff I've been talking about!"

Last night was different. I'm not sure if it's because I've been praying a lot leading up to my trip, but last night was full of peace. 

I felt that peace settle as we started the night with prayer, and as I walked the streets. There was a point when I was out for my first hour when the wind blew and I breathed in the familiar scent of the west end. If you've been here you know it. It's a mixture of stale alcohol, vomit, urine and somehow KFC! I know it sounds crazy, but that smell is so beautiful to me! As I took it in I was reminded of all the amazing things I've seen God do here. 

I realize it would be really easy for me to just slip back into the easy rhythm of doing all the things I'm familiar with here. But over and over again leading up to my trip, God's been speaking to me about NEW THINGS. 

I love the passion translation of Isaiah 43:18-19. It says:

"Don't revel only in the past, or spend all your time recounting the victories of days gone by. Watch closely: I am preparing something new; it's happening now, even as I speak, and you're about to see it. I am preparing a way through the desert; Waters will flow where there had been none."


The bit that really jumps out at me is that directive to "Watch Closely". That's my plan this summer. To stick closely to Jesus and to listen for what NEW things he has for me. I'm not relying on the old and familiar, instead I'm longing to hear what he has for this place now! 

I'm still raising funds for my summer of missions in Spain. Click here to donate! 

No comments: