Wednesday, October 13, 2010

...naked personalities

Living as part of a community here in Ibiza has really changed my life. If I'm being honest I'll admit that I'm not the most open or vulnerable person. In fact I think I do more hiding than most people do. Why is it so hard to just be open? There are the obvious reason...like when you close yourself off after being hurt a few too many times. I think it's tough because even the world vulnerable has negative connotations to it. Here's how Webster's defines vulnerable:

Capable of being physically or emotionally wounded. Open to attack or damage.

I mean COME ON! Who wants that in their life?!

What I've learned this summer is that being vulnerable doesn't always mean getting hurt. Sometimes opening yourself up, and letting someone else look in can bring an incredible amount of healing to your life. I read this amazing C.S. Lewis quote today -

"Eros will have naked bodies; Friendship naked personalities."

In real friendship we can just be ourselves. We don't have to hide. I'm finding that when I can be naked, honest and vulnerable with another person, cool things happen.

No comments: